Free-to-Play Focus is a video/article series that highlights a free-to-play game everyone should give a try. Free-to-play games are 100% free to download and play, but usually include optional perks and upgrades that can be purchased with real money. The video will demonstrate navigation of the game along with gameplay and audio commentary, while the article describes the game in general along with highlighting key features. Please comment below with your thoughts, or suggest other free-to-play games for me to try!
Next entries in the series: Star Conflict
Full Title: Tribes: Ascend
Developers: Hi-Rez Studios
Publisher: Hi-Rez Studios
Release Date: Available now
Tribes: Ascend isn’t like most other shooters you might have played. It’s extremely fast, it’s intense and it’s ridiculously fun. While it lacks a few bells and whistles and doesn’t sport any type of large open and persistent world, it makes up for all that with quick and dirty fun delivered directly to your face. Strap on your jetpack, load your guns and start skiing! For more specifics on the game, check out the details from the Steam page:
The classic shooter franchise Tribes has been played by well over 1 million people. With Tribes: Ascend, the franchise is reborn – fast-paced, vertical, acrobatic combat combined with class-based teamwork and stunning sci-fi visuals.
- Skiing: A slow soldier is a dead soldier. By holding down space bar you remove friction and build momentum to traverse large maps, hunt down targets, and escape enemy territory at intense speeds.
- Jetpacks: Total freedom of movement and aerial, dog-fight like combat.
- Class-Based Combat: Unlock up to nine distinct classes, each with unique weapon loadouts and abilities.
- Player Progression: As you play a class you gain experience which is used to unlock class-specific skills and perks. You can also share the xp gained while playing a favorite class to progress other classes.
- Escalating Intensity: In each match you earn credits for shooting down enemies or supporting your team’s objectives. Use these match credits to upgrade base defenses, access vehicles, or call-in tactical strikes. The longer you play, the more chaotic the match becomes.
- Vehicles: Pilot the powerful Beowulf tank, the speedy two-person Grav Cycle or the versatile flying Shrike.
- Beautiful, Massive Battlefields: Wage war in a variety of open environments including frozen wastelands, sprawling cities, and jagged mountains.
- Don’t Fight Alone: Friend-list allows you to link up with others and establish supremacy online
- Free To Play… but not pay to win: All items affecting game play can be earned by playing the game itself. Players can purchase optional Tribes Gold to unlock classes more quickly and/or skills more quickly. Players will also be able to purchase cosmetic skins with Tribes Gold.
- Spectator Mode: Highly-detailed spectator mode allows you to zoom in on your favorite players, view player data, and switch between action hot spots on the fly.
Be sure to check out my video above for demonstrations of the game’s features, as well as commentary along with some gameplay. With some really slick visuals and wholly unique gameplay, Tribes is definitely worth a download and can be extremely exhilarating to play. Have you played this or any of the other entries?
The next edition of Free-to-Play Focus will feature Star Conflict, a game to break up the shooter and role-playing offerings featured thus far. Keep an eye on The Koalition for future free-to-play game highlights and news. Please comment with any other game suggestions!