Microsoft has had a record year with the Xbox Live Arcade service this year, with revenue more than doubling that of last year, FADE are reporting.
With great help from the releases of Minecraft, Trials Evolution and The Walking Dead; XBLA games brought in $290 million last year.
Here are the top ten money makers of last year in order of gross revenue:
- Minecraft (4J Studios) – 4,997,000 Units / $97,388,000
- Trials Evolution (RedLynx, LTD) – 1,002,000 Units / $14,298,000
- The Walking Dead (TellTale Games) – 2,615,000 Units / $10,277,000
- Counterstrike: GO (Valve) – 273,000 Units / $3,973,000
- Castle Crashers (The Behemoth) – 252,000 Units / $3,778,000
- Gotham City Impostors (Monolith Productions) – 258,000 / $3,698,000
- I Am Alive (Ubisoft) – 245,000 Units / $3,609,000
- Tony Hawk’s PS HD (Robomodo) – 226,000 Units / $3,261,000
- Alan Wake’s American Nightmare (Remedy Entertainment) – 206,000 Units / $2,903,000
- Trials HD (RedLynx, LTD) – 203,000 / $2,799,000
It is with no surprise that Minecraft made the most money last year, even though the PC version is undoubtedly superior. Trials Evolution was absolutely fantastic and was probably my favorite XBLA release of last year, and even Trials HD made it into the top ten list.
There aren’t really any surprises here apart from Castle Crashers, a 2008 release that is still number 5 on the list. I never got round to playing Castle Crashers but I’m guessing it must be pretty good to be doing so well over 4 years later.
I am shocked to see that neither Fez nor Dust: An Elysian Tale is on that list as they were heavily promoted by Microsoft and were very well received. I suppose people were too busy playing Minecraft to notice…
What do you think of the top grossing list? Did you pick up any of those titles? Let me know in the comments below.