Earlier today, the February NPD numbers surfaced online and revealed just how dominant Nintendo was in both hardware and software sales last month. The company succeeded in selling a total of 395,000 handhelds ranging across every model. Not surprisingly, the New 3DS XL was the biggest seller in this category with an impressive 130 percent increase over the previous 3DS XL model. Next on the list is the PS4 which remained the top selling home console despite an Xbox One price drop. The full hardware sales chart is listed below for you all to check out.
NPD February 2015 Hardware Sales:
– 395k 3DS Family Best-Selling Platform (N3DS XL, 3DS XL, 2DS, 3DS)
– PS4 Best-Selling Home Console
– ≈276k XBONE
– ≈94k Wii U
On the software side of things, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was easily the best selling game last month. This feat was fully expected mainly because this game and Monster Hunter4 Ultimate were the two major Nintendo releases for the month. Evolve and The Order: 1886 were also two other huge third-party releases last month that sold well enough to chart. The full software sales chart is embedded below.
NPD February 2015 Software Sales:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) (515,000 copies sold digitally and physically)
2. Evolve (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
3. Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
4. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
6. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
7. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
8. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
9. The Order: 1886 (PS4)
10. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) (290,000 copies sold digitally and physically)
After having a look at these numbers, I personally want to congratulate Nintendo for having a huge month. Sony also deserves recognition even though they wouldn’t specify exactly how many consoles they actually sold last month. Regardless of this fact, they released The Order:1886 and I’m more than certain that this title helped strengthen their sales further.
Which company and game do you think will lead in hardware and software sales this month? Please feel free to leave your predictions on this topic and more in the comments section below.