When Final Fantasy XIV launched back in 2010 it received negativity from every direction, the players gave almost unanimous negative reviews that focused on the games crippling bugs and boring gameplay.
After attempts at patching the game it was decided it was best to take it down and start again, three years later and after a long period of silence this is where we find ourselves today, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is actually coming out. Seriously.
Here’s a quick rundown of what is new in the games (hint: a lot of things):
- The implementation of a completely new server system.
- A new graphics engine.
- A redesigning of all field maps into 40 zones (compared to the original version’s 8 zones).
- Fully renewed user interface.
- Female Hyur Highlanders, female Roegadyn, and male Miqo’te will be playable.
- A worldless content finder.
- Reworking current jobs and adding new ones (Arcanist and Summoner)
- 1v1 and large scale player versus player content.
- Introduction of the FATE (Full Active Time Event) system. FATE will allow for spontaneous field events such as hamlet defense.
Check out the video embedded at the top as proof of this game in a final form, plus some PS3 footage as well.
Currently a June beta test is planned before its August release date so if you want to join you can go here to sign up, additionally as more proof that the game will release again Square Enix have revealed the special editions of the game, you can find more info here but for now I’ll post what extra stuff you get when you pre-order the game:
- Early Access – Get a head start and leave your mark in the realm of Eorzea with this early access to the game servers ahead of launch.
- Cait Sith Doll Minion – On sabbatical from Shinra Inc. and looking for adventure, Cait Sith will join your party as a non-combat pet.
- Mog Cap – Strut around the world of Eorzea with this one-of-a-kind Moogle-themed hat. Kupo!
The video might have convinced me to try out this game, I do really enjoy FF and an MMO is a natural fit for the series. Visually the game looks great and I hope that this new version does not suffer the same fate as the previous one. Let me know in the comments what you think of the footage and whether you will be playing Final Fantasy 14.
Final Fantasy 14 is coming to the PC and PS3 on August 27.