UPDATES via David Jagneaux: I’ve been keeping an eye on Trent Oster’s twitter feed over the past hour or so, and some nice details have surfaced. They are as follows:
- The site is up and running again, check it out here.
- The servers over at the website got overloaded with traffic and was mistaken for a DDOS attack. Nice.
- The remastering will include two separate game releases: Baldur’s Gate 1 plus Tales of the Sword of the Coast expansion, as well as Baldur’s Gate 2 and Throne of Baal expansion.
- The games will include new content.
- It is currently planned as a digital-only release.
- The game will remain 2D Isometric in style, not fully 3D.
- They are using the code from BG2 Throne of Baal as the base, so kits are probably in BG1 now.
- No news on other platforms at this time.
- Will support multiple languages.
- He says that they “take mods seriously” and “are very interested in supporting the modding community” which could indicate extensive modding support.
- It will use the 2nd Edition D&D ruleset, like the originals.
- Trent Oster has stated: “We want BG3 as well. Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is a part of the master plan.”
This post will continue to receive updates as they come in!
ORIGINAL STORY: David Jagneaux yesterday wrote of a timer on the Baldur’s Gate website that was ticking down to a new announcement. Well the announcement is that Atari will be releasing an enhanced edition of Balur’s Gate this summer. There is an extreme lack of details on this right now as you can imagine, but if the Enhanced Edition of The Wither 2 is anything to go by, then we can expect an updated version of the old game, which may even be on consoles.
Many hardcore Baldur’s Gate fans were speculating whether the countdown could mean a new entry into the Bioware created Dungeons & Dragons classic. If you are a fan of the series then definitely let us know how you feel about the news. Also look out for David’s insight on the news on a future episode of Turn Based.