If you haven’t heard, the new Zelda is a pretty good game. In fact, it is a really good game. With that being said, it is of course not perfect. This is seen especially in the fact that the game suffers from a very tricky and specific game breaking bug. Below is an official explanation of the bug from Nintendo, sent to Zelda Informer. To avoid the official statement and just get a spoiler free summary of the issue, just scroll down past the excerpt.
NOTE: MINOR SPOILERS
We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:
1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon’s event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.
• This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon’s song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.
• If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
I wish I had a better answer, but I’m afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.
In spoiler-free conclusion: when you get to the quest involving collecting pieces of a song, save the Desert region for last. That is all. Anyways, thoughts? Think Nintendo will release an actual patch, or just update future versions of the disc? Let us know!